This design project is for the metabolic assessment program that Life Time offers exclusively. The project was initiated as the system created a lot of errors that were causing significant losses at the company. 



 

METABOLIC ASSESSMENT

MY ROLE

LEAD UX DESIGNER

I was involved in the project from discovery, ideation, research to design for 4 months as a lead UX designer while practicing project management skills. 

I worked closely with 2 stakeholders, 2 developers, and a business analyst in an agile environment. 

I executed a stakeholder interview, (in-person & remote) usability testing, interview, wireframe, and prototype. 

I used Sketch, Zeplin, OmniGraffle, Illustrator, Confluence, Jira and MS office in this project. 

MAIN CHALLENGE

THE COMPLEXITY OF SOFTWARE. 

Not everyone is familiar with the concept of metabolic assessment. What needs to be assessed? What do all this term mean? Going into this project, I was certainly not an expert in the area. I had to sit down and read to educate myself on the subject to fully understand what's going on.

Even after I developed the full understanding, the software itself was very complex. It had a lot of information to contain while the technician (user) is being challenged with a lot of tasks simultaneously. 

Our high-level goals were

  1. Make it as usable as possible.

  2. Make a tool that helps users more than just tracking and collecting data.

KICKOFF

OKAY, I'M HERE TO LEARN.

To successfully drive the project, the team had to develop a full understanding of the product itself and relevant knowledge around how the metabolic system works in the human body. 

 

The team held a few meetings to learn more about the product while documenting the user flow learning from the stakeholder and observing how current users are using the product. 

After we identified the steps, I facilitated the stakeholder interview. I focused on helping him identifying the ultimate goals of his team and working on project objectives around the goals while providing what to expect in the following steps throughout the project. 

After the stakeholder interview, the whole project team met up for an official kickoff meeting to share project objectives, timeline, budget, and expectations.  

Identifying and documenting the user flow of the existing product. 

DISCOVERY

METHODOLOGIES

  • A survey to understand technicians' daily routines, motivations, and barriers to comprehend the context of users. Around 100 responses were collected. 

  • 3 focus group sessions to gather pain points and brainstorm on what their ideal software would be. Each session held 10 participants. 

  • 5 usability testing on current software to identify pain points and usability issues. 

MAIN INSIGHTS

  • Most of the errors were coming from users found it difficult to track the status of the assessment while running the product and communicating with a client. 

  • Users found the design of UI hard to capture. 

  • Users wanted more information. 

  • The education process and the documents were not supporting users as desired.

TAKEAWAYS & NEXT STEPS

  • New features to decrease errors from tracking failure. 

  • Update UX design. 

  • Update the education process and the documents that reflect research findings.

DESIGN WORKSHOP

So we've learned what users are going through, what they want, and why. Now time to make it happen but first thing first, the team needed to sit down talk requirements, feasibility, investment, and business value of changes. As one of the ways to explore the best way to make it happen, I held several design workshops with the team. 

I initiated the sessions by stating the objective of the session to ensure all the terms are defined clearly. I handed over the drawing pen and the whiteboard to the team members to share their ideas and help them feel empowered during the design process. Meanwhile, I stayed as a facilitator to keep the discussion on track by reminding the insights or data from the research and reminding the objectives of the session. 

After the workshops, we came to agree on an updated list of requirements not only for the product but also for the process. 

WIREFRAME

& USABILITY TESTING

Once the requirements were gathered, I designed, tested, and iterated the wireframe of the product. These are a few highlights from the new design. 

FEED! 

The biggest change was the feed. 

As one of the biggest pain points was the difficulty of tracking, we decided to add Feed section to help them stay updated on the status of the assessment. 

Simpler UI

As we decided to provide more information on the screen, we ensured to stick to simpler UI to increase the readability of the content. 

Two tasks to one task 

During the discovery phase, we learned users had a lot to manage simultaneously in the assessment. Checking items on the paper while running the program was one example. We merged them together into the program to lighten their workload and allow them to focus on providing a great assessment experience to their client. 

© 2020 by DaHee Kang